11 February 2014

Original VS Innovative Design

A few little updates

Today i had my mid term review feedback. it was good and bad. well, more good. My tutor is really into my work, which is good cause shes pretty much giving me my degree! She knows my products are very well made and shes confident ill have high quality work - which is good - because i pride myself in my practiced techniques and perfected toiles. She also credited my love for design, and problem solving. This is true.. i love designing... from sketch to toile to the final thing, i love to work to a brief and solve a problem through design! This is more of a CV feature but thats great that at this stage she can see this so possible employers will see this in a reference. 

She also mentioned - im predicted 2:1, I can achieve a 1st in some aspects of my work but without innovative bag design she cant award me a first. i never really set out to re-invent the bag.. i just want to add to all the beautiful bags on the market! But maybe mine are too plain.. something to work on even if just for examples, if i can say ive experimented and then decided on the plainer designs then thats good research and better than just saying 'no i dont want to experiment because i want plain bags'

----------------------------------

This weekend i had home alone - which meant i could sew throughout the night without waking my housemate!! Just about the only good thing about being home alone - very creepy

Ive been making these mockups for bags.Im not sure what kind of bags yet. clutch, leather strap, backpacks, weekender... im just making forms and thinking about their use after really. 
I made this first one here in large first, which i like but its too big for a day bag (too wide) and too small for a weekender. Then i made the tiny one.. way too small for anything.. though i love it cause its cute! Then - the middle one. great large clutch size and also a great size for a day bag. it fits an a4 file (just!) and will fit a tablet, small macbook etc. 
All toiles are made of calico and are fully lined, to best represent the final form and so i can figure out how its gonna be made! 
They are made by making two compartments exactly the same. they are sewn together at the side seams to create a double compartment-with-flat-pocket. it is a bit of a waste of fabric maybe but it looks good and its high quality and sturdy!





This here is the construction of a double hidden zipped pouch. the idea is there will be a front panal with more angles, featuring two hidden zipped pockets behind a fold. It needs alot of work - lets put it like that!


so... yeah i work in my pjs.. and there's calico EVERYWHERE in my room!! happy sewing!!


No comments:

Post a Comment



blogger template by lovebird